We believe in…
a just world for all beings, being good custodians of the planet and shining from within. We believe in the right to an education for all, to feel welcome and included, to be seen and heard. We believe in integrity, transparency, honesty, service, freedom and peace.
We acknowledge and pay respects to the traditional custodians of the lands and nations around Australia on which we run our workshops and business. We acknowledge that sovereignty has never been ceded – this land always was and always will be, Aboriginal land. We recognise the past atrocities against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples of this land and that Australia was founded on the genocide and dispossession of First Nations people. We recognise the ongoing struggles of First Nations people in dismantling the colonial structures and policies that remain in place today.
Ensuring that students of all social, cultural, community and family backgrounds, and of all identities, and all abilities feel welcome is important to us. Shine from Within is LGBTQIA+ friendly.
We acknowledge that much of our work and resources have been created through the lens of our Director, Amanda Rootsey, a white, cis-gendered, able-bodied woman and that her experiences and lessons learned may be, and probably will be, very different to those of someone who holds a marginalised identity. As such, we are commited to investing time, money and energy unpacking privilege and working with anti-oppression consultants and educators to ensure we are more aware, more inclusive and are holding a safe space for all. This learning is never ending and we realise we’ll make mistakes along the way – we welcome feedback on how we can do things better and hold a more inclusive space as we continue to learn and implement changes.
Our Commitment to our students
We are dedicated to providing a welcoming, nurturing, respectful, FUN space for all of our students to learn evidence-based, holistic, relevant life skills for the modern world. We approach our work with the belief that all people are already perfect and have what they need within. We celebrate them, encourage them, support them and hold space for them to realise this for themselves. We use stories, examples, different points of view, activities and discussions to bring the Shine from Within philosophy to life. Our facilitators, mentors and guest teachers come from a mentoring and life coaching background and our programs are designed to be used in a preventative way, not therapeutic. We are trained in recognising triggers and warning signs that a student may need more support from a counsellor, psychologist, or other health professional.
Our Social Impact
We believe our impact is ever-evolving and are committed to continuing our learning and our service through a variety of ways. In the spirit of transparency we wanted to share our commitment with you and demonstrate how we’ve been actioning these with the following:
- Committed to learning more and becoming more informed in the areas of social justice, feminism, body image and the body positivity movement and environmental impact. In 2019 our Director Amanda Rootsey has done this by investing in the following trainings:
- Anit-oppression consulting with Sharyn Holmes
- Trauma awareness masterclass with Nicole Keeber-Lewis
- Business masterclasses with Lena West, Staci Jordan Shelton, Desiree Adaway
- Gender consulting with Cameron Airen
- Body Positivity and Positive Body Image with Sabine McKenzie (masterclass provided to all of our youth mentors)
- Accidental Counsellor training with Human Connections
- And reading the following books: The Mentor by Jack Manning Bancroft; Meet Me at the Intersection – an anthology of short fiction, memoir and poetry by authors who are First Nations, People of Colour, LGBTIQA+ or living with disability edited by Rebecca Lim, Ambelin Kwaymullina; How Powerful We Are by Sally Rugg; Emergent Strategy by Adrienne Maree Brown; White Tears/Brown Scars by Ruby Hamad. We are commited to implementing what we’ve learned in 2019 over the next 12 months and ensuring these important discussions are had with staff, contractors, students the rest of our Shine from Within community in 2020.
- Committed to listening to and raising the voices of marginalised groups through our social media channels, podcast, guest experts in our trainings and business consultants.
- Committed to supporting social enterprises in business that align with our values. Specifically:
- Our school-based curriculums are printed by Words with Heart, a social enterprise that fund education programs for women and girls. In 2019 we provided 15 days of education funding for women and girls through Words with Heart.
- Purchasing gifts for clients and students from indigenous artists, social enterprises and local businesses.
- Committed to donating a percentage of revenue to not-for-profits and causes we believe in. In 2019 we donated 1% of revenue to the following causes:
- Sister’s Inside
- One Girl
- Murals for Change
- Breathe Project’s New Zealand service trip
- Indigenous X
- Victorian Women’s Trust
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
We plan to increase this percentage in 2020.
- Committed to providing payment plans for all events and trainings, as well as a number of ‘Pay What You Can’ places in our Youth Mentor Training to ensure we’re making this training accessible to those who would otherwise not be able to afford to join us or have marginalised identities. Our current round includes 17% of students who are paying via a Pay What You Can application. We aim to welcome approximately 15% of students in all future rounds on Pay What You Can applications.
- Committed to ensuring our Youth Mentor Training is a truly global program, ensuring support for youth is accessible to as many communities as possible. So far we’ve had students join us from Zambia, Nigeria, South Africa, Spain, France, UK, Belgium, Ireland, Canada, USA, Malaysia, China, Thailand, New Zealand, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Australia and Sweden.
- Committed to volunteering a portion of our time and resources, where possible, to community organisations. We’ve committed to training mentors in a teen cancer recovery wellness program in 2020.
- Committed to providing free and low cost resources, events and coaching opportunities to tweens, teens, parents and mentors. In 2019 we facilitated 3 workshops that were by gold coin donation, produced 7 podcast episodes, 6 blog posts and we have a number of free downloadable PDFs for parents and mentors. We have also worked with some community organisations to ensure students from marginalised backgrounds could access our events through community grants and sponsorships. We aim to provide a partnering service in 2020 which links mentors who are in training with teens looking for pro-bono llife coaching and mentoring.
- Committed to ensuring our training programs are accessible to as many people with varying abilities as possible. In 2019 we’ve been transcribing all training videos in our Youth Mentor Training so that in 2020 we can ensure subtitles are provided for all trainings.
- Committed to ensuring that any youth mentors we promote on this website are equally as dedicated to providing an inclusive space for all by ensuring they have completed an implicit bias test, had an interview with our Director and demonstrated their commitment to continue learning (and unlearning) about social justice issues. We believe it’s imperative to do this work in order to hold a safe and nurturing space for today’s young folks and want to make sure anyone we promote is equally committed to our values.
- Committed to working with and building long-lasting relationships with contractors who share our values. Some of the businesses we’re honoured to work alongside and who have donated time or resources to our programs include Kylie’s Profesional Mineral Make Up and Everescents Organic Hair Care.
- Committed to providing a gentle, empowering, socially-responsible working environment, including flexible working conditions for all of our admin contractors to work from home and choose when suits them to work around family, study and their other business commitments.
Our Environmental Footprint
We’re dedicated to being as gentle as possible on the planet. We do this in a number of ways, including:
- Providing editable PDF workbooks in our Youth Mentor Training, encouraging students to keep everything digitally, rather than printing.
- For the things we must print, such as our school-based curriculum, we print these on recycled stock, using vegetable-based inks, in recycled cardboard binders (all printed by a social enterprise) and provide an online portal for all additional resources such as slideshows, playlists, etc (rather than provide a USB stick or CD).
- We source locally-made, eco-friendly, vegan gifts for our clients and students.
- Ensuring all of our events are catered using 100% vegan ingredients (and organic where possible), supporting local growers, farmers and businesses.
- Being a virtual business with all staff and contractors working from home except for when facilitating our in-person events. This reduces travel and resources such as electricity.
- Having systems in place to reduce our postage wherever possible, including not holding stock of any of our online store items or books – each order is sent directly from the manufacturer, cutting out the ‘middle-person’.
- We bring in our commitment to the environment through discussions wherever possible, including in skincare and make up classes, fashion classes, money classes, food and wellness classes and more. There are also chapters such as How to be a Hero for Mama Earth in our best-selling book, Shine From Within; a teen girl’s guide to life.
We’ll review these commitments at least once a year and continue to evolve our commitment to people, planet and animals.
If you have any queries about our impact or commitment, please email email@example.com
We acknowledge and pay respects to the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we run our workshops and business.
Shine from Within welcomes students of all social, cultural, community and family backgrounds, and of all identities, and all abilities. Shine from Within is LGBTQIA+ friendly. Read our complete commitment to our social and environmental impact here.
Shine From Within® and Shine On The Inside® are registered trademarks of Amanda Rootsey T/A Shine From Within ABN 79216354231